Sam is a Data Engineer and BI Administrator/Developer with 12 years of experience and a proven track record in developing, maintaining, and operating business-critical Data Quality and Mastering systems as well as administering company-wide BI infrastructure and developing/maintaining BI operational reports for various departments. A progressive developer, known for learning new technologies and working well within a team to achieve performance goals. Possessing comprehensive knowledge and hands-on experience in database development, ETL, BI administration and reporting tools. Extensive knowledge of the musical performance and mechanical rights management life cycle. Experienced with all phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC). Known for effective communication, teamwork as well as strong analytical, problem-solving, and organizational abilities.
Sam possesses a Database & Web Development Certificate from University of Toronto as well as Data Analytics, Big Data, and Predictive Analytics Certificate from Ryerson University.
SOCAN is Canada’s largest rights management organization, connecting more than four million creators worldwide and more than a quarter-million businesses and individuals in Canada alone.
Critical role in developing, operating, and maintaining SOCAN’s Master Data Management (MDM) and Data Quality (DQ) system, which processes approximately 500 million transactions per quarter. (Ataccama, SQL Server, Java)
• Collaborate with internal business users to identify and, fix bugs, and make improvements to the Data Quality (DQ) and Master Data Management (MDM) systems for greater efficiency and data accuracy. CoLead developer for the recent Common Works Registration (CWR) update to CWR v2.2. Said update was delivered on time and allowed the company to process a backlog of work registrations in the new v.2.2 format, allowing the company to save face as the backlog had caused several delays down the line.
• Perform day-to-day operations from initial ingestion of usage and non-usage work registration data from dozens of data sources (Youtube, Spotify, Google Play Music, Amazon Prime Music, Soundcloud, Netflix, Radio, Cable TV, etc.), to cleansing, aggregation, matching, data mastering, and master data export as well as reference and lookup entity updates.
• DQ and MDM administration:
o Install and configure Ataccama, as well as DQC, MDC, and other related services.
o Troubleshoot and resolve production issues quickly with minimal impact to system users.
o Perform code promotions to DEV, UA, QA, and production environments.
• Principal developer and operator of the reproduction and mechanical rights processing system (SSIS, SQL Server).
o Currently redesigning and developing a complete revamp of the reproduction rights system enabling SOCAN to track and process historical claims. This will greatly expand the scale of data being processed and as well provide a 50% reduction in the amount of time and manpower it takes to process said claims.
o Coordinate with the Licensing department to incorporate new data providers/sources as well as make improvements to the existing system. (SSIS, ETL, C#).
o Execute mechanical rights processing operations from data ingestion to export, processing approximately 75GB of data per quarter. (SQL Server Agent)
• The principal administrator of company-wide BI infrastructure with an average of 58 Power BI cloud users and a similar number of on-premises report users (Microsoft Power BI).
o Install and maintain Report Server software on all development, UAT, and production Power BI servers.
o Install and maintain Power BI data gateway servers as well as creating and administering data gateway connections.
o Provide company-wide Power BI usage statistics.
o Work with internal users to create and manage Power BI data gateway connections.
o Oversee Power BI Pro license allocation.
• Lead developer of operational reports (Power BI, SSRS, Report Builder, PowerPivot, Stored Procedures, SQL).
o Work with internal business users to identify bugs, make fixes, and implement performance and functional improvements to existing reports. Implemented a new system of ad-hoc report generation using PowerPivot which allowed the Licensing department to analyze operational log reports with millions of records and as a result greatly reducing the amount of time it takes to validate data load accuracy.
o Generate process critical ad-hoc reports promptly.
o Gather requirements, develop, test, and deploy new operational reports for various departments.
• Developed and maintained the CRM database and user interface (Oracle, PL/SQL, Oracle Forms).